Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Class work for 1/19/16:

It was brought to my attention today that I has skipped scene iii on the blog, which indeed I did. For homework, I had you read scene iv. Sigh. So, in class today, you were required to read Act I, scene iii along with marking and annotating the text. There are a few points I want you to notice:
  • Polonius lectures Laertes before he sets off to college in Paris. During his lecture, he gives him some sound advice. List the different kinds of advice he gives him (i.e. "Neither a borrower nor a lender be... line 75).
  • Polonius's reasoning as to why Ophelia cannot see Hamlet (look for the hidden agenda's in the relationships so far established, or, for that matter, dismissed) -- Polonius and Claudius, Hamlet and Claudius. 
    • Why does Polonius care if Ophelia does or does not see Hamlet?
    • Why does Ophelia decide to obey her father? (Keep in mind the major essential question--there is a conflict between personality and intellect.) Ask TWO level 2  or three questions.
Ask TWO level 2 or 3 questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment